/*

3/20/2008

Happy?

"Happy? What is happiness?"

"Well, are you happy?"

She puts on her glasses and looks thoughtful, then she laughs and shakes her head. "No, of course not, I am not happy because how could I be that?"

"Why? What are missing to reach happiness?"

"First, the freedom to be happy. Secondly, the freedom to be able to say what I feel and thirdly, the freedom of being able to do what I feel."

"And all that you do not have?"

"No, if I feel well, then there are always people who think the could disturb me, even if I do not want to be disturbed. These people think that I belong to them. If I just say what I feel, some people feel offended, particularly those, who want to represent something. And if I do what I want, then there are people who disapprove of what I do. "

"Don't you have a private life where no one can interfere?"

"Certainly, I have a private life, but in every moment of my life I feel their claims, I feel their disapproval, I feel their anger on me, because I am not like they would me to be like."

We are silent.

"That's it," she confirmed.

12 comments:

Reflections Magazine editor said...

Oh I so understand your post, but just because I understand does not mean I agree. Silence leads to enslavement of one's soul and ultimately life. We must never be silent regardless of the consequences as long as truth and justice are on our side (or at least "the right thing" and every one knows right from wrong.)

Many brave men and women in history have given their lives, for they chose NOT to be silent. We arrived in this world alone and we shall leave alone and to believe another human being defines our worth is surely a path to unquestionable unhappiness. Relinqueshing the essence of who we are must never be an option.

I enjoy these short stories very much and I am curious about your intended messages. Thanks.

Ray Gratzner said...

Dear fearless blog, thank you for your fervent comment.
This little story is a snapshot of a moment and I am happy that you shared your reaction. Thank you.

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Happiness is a boundless ocean
One can choose to be
With the Ocean and be happy ever
Or one can be with a wave
Rise and fall
Or crash against a rock
But the Ocean is always Bliss
Because it just is.

Ray Gratzner said...

Dear swahilya, thank you for this fine poem. I like it very much.

Anonymous said...

Great story! Something I struggle with as well. I don't feel as though I need to be silent or in isolation to find happiness but to always remember to be true to myself. I find that others become more accepting as I become closer to who I am, or, they will fade from my life because their energy is not in alignment with mine. And others enter who are more in alignment with where I am at that point. Happiness & freedom comes from being our Self.
Blessings,
~Tania

Anonymous said...

Dear Ray,

Thank you; I really liked this story.

I strongly feel that the sacred circle of silence is important to all of us.

We all need a place for retreat, where we are totally at peace with ourselves and free from all outside influences.

I'll be back!

Ray Gratzner said...

Dear tania, thank you for telling from your personal life. To be true to our self can help us to find mor acceptance. I like this point of view and think it is an important experience.
Blessings too,
Rainer

Ray Gratzner said...

Dear a.v.c, thank you for commenting and stressing the value of retreat and peace. I believe we all do need that. Thanks

ctdweller said...

Happiness is a state of mind. I like the word joy better. Because sometimes you can be 'happy' and yet not find joy. For me, joy comes from the heart. Happy is more like of this world.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Ray Gratzner said...

Dear Lotus Flower, thank you for explaining to me. I really appreciate that.

Anonymous said...

happiness is something we all feel, we all are. Its just that some people choose to deny themselves of this reality. That denial can mean many things, including an effort to test character.

Ray Gratzner said...

Dear liara, thank you for adding this view. I would add that other people can cling to one's own person and can spoil a good mood.